Thursday, September 11, 2008

goin too slow

I am still in the decorating phase of the move and I feel like I am going too slow. There is so much I want, but with a limited budget and my refusal to use a credit card I am kept in a box. Unfortunately as I said before I have Paris Hilton tastes. I like alot of expensive, way out of my budget items...and the only way to get what I want , exactly how I want it, is to save...wait and save. The saving isnt killing me , its the waiting...I can live without these things however....my patience is non existent.

I have just had 3 days off , three beautiful days where I could have gone shopping...but its not in the budget...so instead I spent those days , pinning at home...playing "woe is me" in my head to the tune of Aerosmith's "Dream on". But I vow , by the end of next month I will have my dinning room set and a night table. Still unsure if I want a night table though. An actual table or a shelf are my choices. What got me in limbo are the prices..two hundred dollars for a little table that will only hold a lamp and a book...its ridiculous. Hell I am thinking of going to Lowes and building my own table. I know it sounds cheap as hell...and I admit I can be tight with my money on certain things...but I do spend on other things I think worth while. But a bullshit table to hold a lamp and a book doesnt seem worth two hundred dollars. Two hundred dollars is almost a day's work for me.

Usually when I am unsure of buying something I break it down ..measuring its cost by my hourly wage and dividing it by the amount of time it will take me to work off the price. For example..dumb ass night table cost 200....hypothetically if I worked for 20 bucks an hour..I would have to work 10 hours to buy that table. Now I think of all the crap I do within those 10 hours....how much work I put in ....that table doesnt seem worth it.  I know it sounds a bit over the top...but I think the price is over the top....I need to make a friend with a furniture maker. This is ridiculous

Anyway off to do...well nothing..since its "something" is not in the budget..lol @ my sad life

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean on waiting. One time it took me almost 2 years to find the table and chair set that I wanted. I wanted it used. I kept looking in the paper. Finally found just what I wanted. I would not have been happy with anything else.

I liked my endtables with the storage under them with doors. No way did I want to discard that storage. I measured the top of my endtables, went to one of the stores (Star or Home Depot) had them cut 2 floor tiles shorter. I put 2 regular size tiles in the front along the front edge and side edges. Back ones I did the same way, used tile glue, and put grout between the tiles. My husband told me I could not do it... guess what?  I did!  I like the look and they are so easy to keep clean. I used tile with just a stone look without any real design to it. lol Maybe try a used store, be surprised what you can find?? I love a bargin. Estate sales have great stuff too if you get there early. Usually the last day of an estate is 50 to 75% off. Get the right size table you could even glue on mirror tiles but have to use a mirror glue. lol Have a great weekend. Janie