Sometimes working nights can wreck havoc on your body...or is it working period. I wish I was wealthy, man the appeal of vacations in St. Barts and no obligations to anything makes me drool. I know the saying money doesnt make you happy...but thats good cause I am not unhappy now...just tired as crap. I put my name down last night to be called off if they didnt need another nurse,,well all evenning I kept waiting for that phone call..the one which would give me the go ahead to sink into a deep coma-like sleep for 2 days straight. But I got nothing..and ofcourse ended up being late and to top it all off when I rush into work my name wasnt on the board..HMMM I looked it cursiously..."I was here last night..why wouldnt I be on, why wouldnt I have the same patient's from yesterday...maybe I didnt hear the phone and they left a message" *checks phone...no message ( my hope died). And then comes my answer..."Your on another floor tonight...not my decision". The horror on my face was most readable. But after the initial "I'm what!" that I shouted @ my Assistant Manager...I hid my disappointment with a shrug of the shoulders and a "Why the hell not..tonight couldnt get worst and if it does..its me..I expect it to happen" ( I mumbled the last part though).
So I thrudge my way down two flights to uncharted territory (the really sick folks). I dont know if I told you folks but I am an Orthopaedic/ Neurology Nurse...so broken bones from car wrecks (they dont ask to be here) & brain/spinal tumors and little old women requesting knee & hip replacements are my speciality (they elect for these surgeries). But the uncharted territory holds the chronically ill folks...people who are in and out the hospital so much they know the Weekday Lunch Menu by heart. As one nurse told me once "Our patient's are hurt, these people are sick". So it was great to have a break from monotomy....the nurses there were welcoming enough as well as were the Techs but I spent most of my time talking to my patients. Interesting how they live with their illnesses..and I feel for them..empathize with their want to go home soon as possible. On my floor most of the patient's try to prolong their stay cause they are unsure and afraid of not being well enough to safely care for themselves to leave (which is a legitimate fear). But here these folks have lived with their illnesses for so long that the little fact that they cant breath properly will not stop them from going home and sleeping in their own beds. Resilience...one of the few human traits I admire without resolution.
Anyway even though I left with a headache that had my left eye watering (signs of my tiredness), I was glad I got to experience a different floor. Also confirmed what I knew about myself all along...I adapt to change well...sometimes...too well.
What I Ate Wednesday - Hattie B's Hot Chicken
8 years ago
1 comment:
Understand how you felt. Glad that you got along well. Just stopping by for quick hello, have a funeral to go to in the morning. Hope you have a blessed week. Janie
Post a Comment