Today I finished the latest installment to one of my favorite book series. And it got me thinking, of the way men and women love. The name of the book is "The Darkness" by L.A. Banks and its about a vampire-huntress; basically paranomal romance. Anyway one my favorite scenes throughout the book is when one of the male characters is accused by his collegues/ brothers in arms of sparing someone's life that deserves to die, because this person was like a "brother" to him. They said "Everyone has an achilles heel". And the main character exclaims..."he is not my achilles heel, she is! " and points to his wife.... "so dont question that I will do anything to compromise that".
What made me love this scene was because this is one of those big, tough mercenary guys who wasnt afraid to love so hard. This is a man prone to jealousy, venegence, crying fits and all these extreme emotional displays all in the name of this woman he loved. Yet he did it in such a masculine way u never questioned that in that same instance he wouldnt be compelled to snap ur neck like a twig. Carlos, the character, loves hard! And its one of the reasons I loved his character. He may be rough around the edges....but the man didnt play when it comes to the ones he loved.
And I wondered about the way women loved...or sometimes how I love. It made me reflect on another book I was reading where this woman, fiercely independent woman was told by a man, "even though we know u can do it urself, sometimes men like to be needed". And I think sometimes I should show more vulnerablity and my fierce independence doesnt make men feel like I need them. But truthfully I do need him. Sure I can live on my own, paint my own walls, install my own carpet...go up on the roof and fix a leak and all the crap. Been there...done it myself....but I need him. And in that way I sometimes want to feel like I am someone else Achilles Heel. Sure it seems selfish to want to be someone else Achilles Heel, but its very empowering.
I want to feel like I am loved so hard. Now I am sure u think this is about possessive type love. But no.....I had that crazy ex dominican boyfriend, back in the day...I dont need that no more. I mean the love that makes me feel more feminine and girly and protected all the time.
So do I need to be more vulnerable to be empowered? But how does one do this without asking or making it seem obvious.
No comments:
Post a Comment