So this morning I am listening to a couple of new podcasts to start the day...and one of them explored the topic of children and playing. And it got me reminiscing on my days as a child ...playing in the school grounds and I have a story to tell.
So back when I was a wee little lad..lol I just wanted to say that...my elementary school class room doors were made of steel. Before you go up in arms..all the doors led directly to the court yard outside and there were no bars on the windows... it was a one story L shaped complex. Remember this was also in Trindiad. However usually these metal doors are left open, but one day someone left one closed and at the very moment I was running down the corridor to my class,...probably skipping along in my Mary Janes (okay I dont remember the skipping part since some parts of this story is "lost" to me)....me..the unsuspecting soul collided with a swinging metal door. Next thing I know I am on the floor , people surrounding me asking a million and one questions and I am holding a small teeth fragment in the palm of my hands.
Now this might sound like a horrific story..but today while reminiscing I realized those were some of my best days..Playing ...just being a child..falling down ...messing up my knees and elbows all those are parts of being a kid. And I understand the urge to want to protect your children from hurt..but banning tag in the school playground is just ridiculous.
People take micromanaging their kids too far....sure we want to keep those idle hands busy so the devil doesnt start recruitment process but come on people ...play is how children build social skills, network, learn right from wrong....play...parallel, associative, corporative ...all types are necessary.
Today my chipped tooth is an interesting story to tell. It also goes great with the triangular scar on my right hand (ridding down the stair case with my BMX bike, the circular scar on my left elbow (falling out of a cherry tree in a tree climbing contest) and the one on my left knee (diving onto the pavement from my bike trying to avoid on-coming traffic).... Damn after reading this...makes me wonder..where were my parents! lmao
just kidding
We all fall down but get up...resilience is another lesson we learn from play...
P.S. My Hubby is also getting a lesson in resilience for the past few weeks in Judo Class..all in the form of getting his ass kicked by more experience and larger students. I think it will be good for him..great way to let out steam...me..I prefer a gentler approach...looking into Salsa classes.lol
1 comment:
How true! Letting your parents worry about everything. lol Too funny! I have lots of scars from childhood. The screen door with the little metal hook slammed in my face and I still have the scar about my eyebrow... wonder it didn't put my eye out! Must have had angels watching over me! lol Hope you have a great week. God Bless, Janie
Post a Comment