I came across this phrase today..."Financial WarChest"..but truthfully I have known about it all my life..or atleast been taught that I should always have one. My mother believed in a woman...and a man (said the same to my brother) should always be financially independent of their spouse or significant other. She said this was your safety net...so that you wont be kept in a situation you didnt want to be in longer than you have to just because you depended on someone else to provide you food and shelter.
I am not the only woman who was taught this....we have always heard the phrase..money is power...and if this is true then the one who holds the purse string also wields the power. So many women (and men) have been "prisoners of war" because their WarChest was empty.
Now I say the word ...war over and over again in this entry...mainly to drive the point that sometimes at the end of a relationship...or the beginning of the end ....we go to war on each other. This can be any type of relationship...from parent to child ..."If you dont do your chores..no allowance this week"....from husband to wife..."You cant leave me...how you going take care of yourself...you never owned anything in your life"....even employers try to exercise their power..."If I cant get this report by Saturday night, Johnson, I will have to look for someone else who can". When a person has the power to threaten your sense of security...it makes for a very volatile relationship....envy, rage, and deep rooted resentment begins to take the place of love , respect and admiration that was once in your heart.
So I ask you, Joe Public, do you believe you should have a Financial WarChest? If not...why not..and if so, and you do have one..what made you start it? Is it okay to have a separate bank account for yourself....and do you tell your spouse or keep that little tidbit to your self?
*Stands with my legs wide apart looking like a Amazon with a chest of gold at my feet and a spear in my right hand*....Xena, the Warrior Princess has nothing on me.
1 comment:
LOL Hmmm we do think a like lady. lol Since the beginning of my husband and I... I have been the one to pay the bills, make the choices like home, land, and etc. Every check has been signed by me. I have a couple of credit cards that my husband has not had. :-) Very good credit. When we purchased our new truck you should have seen the look on my husband's face when the sales person told him that my credit was better than his. :-) They send all the information on HIS new truck to Me. lol The loan is in my name and then his. I learned the hard way when I made my husband leave one time. His boss handed him $2,000 to do as he pleased... attorney or what ever!!! Yikes! that is not good. I left 1/2 of the money for him but not that much for each of us. I realized that I could not really make it as far as him. :-) I could make it now... and no... he does not know or it would all be spent. When a man gives the woman the honor of paying all the bills.. it is quiet easy to lay back a nest eggg. lol
I have not worked.. his choice. Been reminded too many times about me not working until 2 years ago when I told him to get a divorce that I was sick of everything... why didn't I tell him sooner?? He don't try me much anymore. Been married to this man 33 years in April. Hope you have a good week and keep that spear in your right hand. lmbo Janie
Post a Comment