Monday, April 14, 2008

Podcasts

Its certainly been a long day....between studying, running errands and taking care of family business I am pooped!

Still struggling with the cold but taking it one day at a time. Anyway I meant to write this entry two days ago but just been too busy to sit down and do it.

I have a Zune, a graduation present from my brother and the best feature of the entire thing are the podcasts.  Apparently this is the year where I am introduced to all things technology...podcasts...blogs..online tv...which reminds me I have shows to catch up one. Anyway I subscribe to a couple of podcasts...ThisAmericanLife, KidsWifeWorkLife and Quick & Dirty Tips podcasts series. And I absolutely love them, they make the day pass so much quicker. Its like listen to your favorite radio show hosts without commercials. Ofcourse folks on the train on my morning commute to work sometimes wonder what is making me grin so hard....I can read the expressions on their faces.

Anyway the other day these podcasts did the opposite...they made me cry. Strange..it was like the same feelings watching a sad movie evokes. First it started with KidsWifeWorkLife...which is a husband and wife podcast couple that basically highlights their life..ups..down ....the peculiar..in the most humor-filled way. The thing is just listening to them , their laughter is infectious. Anyway Chris, the wife & a teacher, told the story about one of her student's parent's surprising them at school...the thing is this kid hasnt seen his father in over a yr because the father was in Iraq. It made me realize thats the down side of military families...the separation....never knowing when your loved one is coming home...and in some cases if. My Hubby will tell you, as well as my best friend and my brother, that they love the "comradery"...and I kid you not..all three of them said the exact same word without knowing what the other said. And I get that feeling, I understand that love of people, of friends of family and brotherhood that develops. But its still scarey to think...no matter what I am part of a military family...by choice (hubby), by blood (brother) and love (my best friend) and one day that might be me.

But the other podcasts is me...its my family. In ThisAmericanLife  there was a segment called Nobody's Family will Change, it was a story about a young family whose life and dynamics were changed when the father had a stroke that lead to a personality change. Right then they were us and we were them. I started to cry, not cause I was sad but because I wasnt alone. We werent alone. I played it for my mom and my dad. Sometimes I long for the family we were then...before that fateful day. And then other times I know that if it didnt happen that I wouldnt be me. And I like me and what I have been able to accomplish. But that doesnt stop me from wondering.

Anyway I think its time to hit the sack.....but before I do...check out the podcasts...

thisamericanlife.com, kidswifeworklife.com,  http://getitdone.quickanddirtytips.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL Sounds like me when I go down the road smiling and laughing and no one is riding with me. lol Some things in life can be hard. Some days it is really easy for me to cry. Must have it stored up and need to release it?? Have a wonderful week. Janie