Monday, October 13, 2008

Firsts!

This is going be fast ad short..cause I am running back to work.
Last night I experienced alot of Firsts in Nursing. This was the first time I administered "Beer" as medication.....yes I kid you not. Instead of the patient going through detox, it was cheaper and my effective to give him his "six pack a day" regimen. I almost laughed....but then I realised they were not kidding. I have so many ethical questions about that one...but that would make this entry longer than it needs to be.
I had many other first's last night, but now today starts with another first. I am supposed to be sleeping right now...enjoying my day off...but I got my first "callback". Where they ask me to come back to work. I was a bit surprised..and ofcourse I could have refused...but they offered extra money and the day off tomorrow...plus I wanna buy Hubby a nice gift for our anniversary and buy that Massage recliner I have been eyeing. But truthfully, I am tired as shit! Soon after I got that phone call, I developed a headache. I havent eaten in how long, and I am on my last uniform for the week..I need to do laundry. I just hope it is better tonight...cause I might need to be placed on meds to keep my anger in check tonight to deal with some bullshit.
This morning though, I almost sh*t my pants....my boss called me into her office...I thought I did something wrong. First time, being called in her office. But she really just wanted to tell me she has been hearing good things about me. The relief on my face was so evident I swear I saw her smirk.
Even though I am a nurse, and I give all my patient's the same treatment...whether I like them or think they are bullsh*tting me and treating this Hospital as a Hotel...I still try to be impartial...but sometimes I too get attached to some patients. I feel their frustration at their situation. And its hard to not want to hug them and say..it will be oka. Last night was a first for that too.,

3 comments:

Janie said...

Beer... too funny! lol Yes, can see how you could get attached to some. Sure hope you get through the evening working. Glad that you were told that you was doing good. Bet hubby will like that Massage recliner, nice gift. Hope all goes well and you can get rested up. Blessings, Janie

How I See It said...

Gadzooks you sound like ME! Giving, giving, giving...even when on empty. I hope stop and do some giving to yourself today or this evening. Afterall, if you don't you will be on the receiving end in a place not of your choosing.
Warmly, Karen

LYN said...

thanks for stopping by my journal!! my hubby's family lives in Chattanooga..i have beeen there a couple of times..our last name is hatfield.. ;-)