Friday, January 23, 2009

Two F' Notes later and an almost Crash

So I have a cough..from a cold that just finished. Now this is a dry cough that is driving me crazy...throat is itchy...chest hurts...and its embarrassing as hell coughing. Now the reason I say this is because I am rationalizing and refused to even consider another reason as to what happened next. So this morning driving home from work...it went like this..."cough cough... hack hack...cough cough...hack hack...and then ...OMG! I am on the frigging freeway and I am about to throw up in my car while doing 50mph". I barely pulled over in time...thankfully I had a bag in the car...other than my purse that I lost my dinner in. For ten minutes I sat there trying not to throw up all over my car at the same time praying it would just stop. I hate throwing up. So after I disposed of my now barf bag, my only weak thought was.."What the hell happened". So my rationale is this...I coughed so much I stimulated my vagal nerve and caused that gagging reflex that led to the barfing episode. Thats my story. All I want is to be wapped up in a blanket and stroked to sleep. Last night @ work was better than the night before. The night before @ work...what could go wrong did...sure no one died but I felt like I was this close *puts index finger and thumb marginally together* to going off on someone. I cursed three times @ work...(okay it was under my breath and I was in a room alone trying to get collect myself)...but the point is ..I have never been so frustrated work before that I used the F word. I mean..all of a sudden perfectly fine people..become confused...then at the same time my head tumor lady decided she couldnt breathe...then all my other I had to have my hip replaced people were crying out for pain meds @ the same time...and ofcourse I hadnt done any of my paper work. I love working nights, however the down side of it is that its always understaffed...and you realise you are the only"reinforcements" you got. I didnt leave work until 9am...( I am usually in my bed by this time) ...I was pissed and in a very very violent mood..and what upset me more was knowing I had to be back later that evenning..for another round of "Super Nurse to the Rescue". For 12 hours straight I didnt eat...I survived on gum and saliva. I was so pissed about that that when I got back into work the next evenning I was determined not to miss lunch. That evenning went alot better...I even had time to help other folks out with their work and do a blood transfusion...which is a biggie to me cause it always takes me a long time just to make sure I have all that crap ready. But atleast I was in good spirits by home time. I was singing my goodbyes...hell..my report was so full of smiles the AM Nurses thought I was high. Ofcouse I was mainly happy I was going home and wont be back later in the day and a very crazy and violent man just got on the floor and I didnt have to deal with him. You could have heard his screams two floors down..cursing and carrying on...(apparently he didnt understand that with a broken leg you cant walk..and it was painfull to pull out your catheter..but he tried though..oh how he tried).

1 comment:

Janie said...

Oh wow! If I throw up I am REALLY sick! Ugh! I am a nervous person and I don't think I would make a good nurse. I would end up in a phyc. ward. lol Hope things get better as I read on. Janie